Monday, January 15, 2018

2018 Focus Word

I love to pick a focus word for the year instead of a list of things I want to work on. I like having just one word for when I am a cross roads I can ask myself if it goes under what I wanted to do for the year. 


So in 2016 my word was "focus", and that did not happen what so ever, but at least I had the word! Then in 2017 my word was "to be bold". Which actually worked out! 

My word this year is so cliche, but I really dropped the ball on every aspect of my life this past year. That word is, health. I know, I know what you are saying. "Everyone wants to lose weight in the new year."

NO! Here is the break down of what I am trying to focus on this year. 

Diet: *I know this is a touchy subject for so many people. I am sharing my story and what I know works for me can completely not work for someone else.* I know I went way over the top in 2017 eating whatever I want. 

In 2018 that needs to change. I want to make all my food in 2018 and stop eating processed foods. (Sigh: I am the microwave food  queen) I will work towards walking away from that, and working towards a more plant based and protein diet. 

Fitness: I went from running about 35 miles a week, working out 6 days a week, and sometimes twice a day, to working out maybe 2 to 3 times a week for about 20 minutes if that. I got so lazy this year. Which is sad because I love fitness and always have! 

The game plan is to get back to working out 5 days a week. Which is completely doable for my schedule. I am starting with more hitt based workouts. Which are my absolute favorite, but that was hard to manage when training for XYZ. I’ve been following Whitney Simmons and doing a handful of her plans. (Which she has been kicking my behind) 

January- March the main focus will be strength based. THEN for come April it is looking like I will have a bit more time on my schedule, so ~*cardio*~ will be a main focus again. If my knee allows it, I will be upping the miles again.

Mental Health: Stress management needs to be a top priority this year. This year I heard someone talking about it and they said, “You either talk it out, or act it out”. And I have been acting it out. I’m a pretty positive person, and I am honestly happy about 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time I try to just ignore it or brush it off, and this year I really need to take a step back and simmer on things that are bothering me. Or even *gulp* trust loved one to talk about it to them. I’m joyful, but I still have every day issues like everyone else. I just need to find a way to deal with that in a healthy way this year. 

In take: SO we talked about food, but there is so much more we put on our bodies. This year I want to make a big effort that everything I put on my skin is good for it. I know I want to eliminate aluminum and parabens completely. (If you know any other big ones hit a sister up). I am very new to this, so this year I will make a big effort to make sure to clean up my every day routine. 

So that is my big main focus for the year. I know it is super cliché but I needed to make a huge change this year. Everyone rock out 2018!


SHARE:

3 comments

  1. There is so much more to "health" than just losing weight!
    Good luck on your journey! I am really trying to focus on my mental health this year, so far off to a rocky start.
    I've eliminated all aluminums and actually have a blog post all about natural deodorants on my blog <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your focus and word for this year. Your life will improve in so many ways, both physical and emotional and more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who cares if it is cliche, keeping better physical and mental health in mind is a worthy goal. It does get harder as you get older and busier, but there are always small ways you can fit in a "health break." Like 10 minutes of stretching, 15 minutes of meditations, or 20 minutes of walking. When you can't take the time out for a more vigorous exercise session.

    ReplyDelete

© Just Around The Neighborhood. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig